Since I’ve started dong meal plans we’ve tried a number of new recipes. One of our favorites was Pasta Primavera from Taste of Home. Its a simple pasta dish with veggies and a yummy sauce. On the meal plan yesterday was Mac n’ Cheese was sausage. Since I’m out of the Mac and Cheese powder sachets from the states (not so healthy but so, so easy) I had to come up with a alternative easy Mac n’ Cheese. Hubby has a problem with white sauce (apparently the flour doesn’t get cooked enough and he usually gets a tummyache) so a white sauce based cheese mix was out. Then I thought I should just modify the yummy sauce from the Pasta Primavera and that’s just what I did. And it was super yummy. So here we go (an copy and paste friendly version is at the bottom).
Step 1: Gather your ingredients. Put pasta to boil. I use about 250gm of Penne Pasta. Be sure to salt the water.
Chop 1 small onion.
Chop 3 sausages (our sausages are very similar to hot dogs in the states so you could substitute 2 hot dogs here) into small pieces.
Prepare one chicken bullion cube (or use any other chicken stock…canned/homemade etc…I used chicken broth left from boiling part of a chicken when I made the sauce for the Pasta Primavera).
Shred the cheese. I used Gouda because it is our favorite. I used a little over a cup of shredded cheese, use more or less depending on how cheesy you want the sauce.
Step 3: Add chicken soup (I used about 1/2 a cup…use more of less depending on how think you want your soup. You can always add more later to thin the sauce). Cover and let simmer for 2 –3 minutes. Turn off heat and add cheese. Stir until completely melted. Add any desired seasonings. If your chicken broth was salted you shouldn’t need to add any salt.
Step 4: Drain pasta and return to pan. Pour sauce over pasta and mix well. Enjoy!
Easy Homemade Mac N’ Cheese
- Pasta of choice
- 1 small onion
- 3 sausages (I use Beef Smokies)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 – 2 cups thinly shredded cheese (I use Gouda but any favorite cheese should work)
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- Desired seasonings
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- Chop onion and sausage and shred cheese
- Saute onion in butter or margarine until tender. Add sausages and cook for 2-3 more minutes
- Add chicken broth, stir well. Cover and let simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until completely melted.
- Add seasonings as desired
- Drain pasta and return to pan. Pour sauce over pasta and mix well
This recipe makes 4 medium sized servings.