I’ve been wanting to try a fried fish in batter for a while so I put it on the meal plan for this week. It turned out pretty yummy. Hubby and I really enjoyed it although I felt like it needed more salt. Benji cried through the first half of the meal, spit out the crusty part of the fist and refused to eat chips (french fries) with tomato sauce (ketchup).
A couple of weeks ago we discovered a great way to make oven roasted potatoes. It also works well for making chips (french fries) in the oven instead of deep frying them. Since I’m always looking for ways to make yummy food healthier and easier I fell in love with this way of making chips right away.
So here goes. I’ll give the step-by-step with pictures and a easy to copy and paste version at the end.
Step 1: Peel potatoes, wash and cut into desired size. (I used about 12 small potatoes for the 3 of us and we had leftovers). Put in a bowl or pan and cover with hot water (hot tap water works fine although I used boiling water from my electric water jug). Soak the potatoes for 15 minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 220 C (450 F)
Step 2: Prepare the pan. Either use a non-stick baking pan or line the pan with foil. Add enough oil to just coat the bottom of the pan (this keeps the potatoes from sticking as they cook).
Step 3:Drain water from potatoes and pat dry. Return to bowl and add oil. I used about 1 1/2 tablespoons which was more than enough. Season to taste with salt and any other seasonings you like. I added onion powder since hubby loves it. Stir well to ensure all that potatoes are coated.
Step 4: Put the potatoes in the prepared pan. DO NOT STIR, just spread the potatoes so that they are even.
Step 5: Cover the pan with foil and seal the edges. Pop them in the oven.
Step 6: Cook for approximately 20 minutes. The time will vary depending on the size of your potato pieces. If you want them to get crispy uncover them for the last 5 or so minutes.
While your chips are baking you can make the fish. Actually I would suggest you start preparing the fish while the potatoes are soaking.
Step 1: Cut your fish into small pieces (I used 2 large fillets and cut them each into 4 pieces)
Step 2: Prepare the batter. First mix 3/4-1 cup of water, 1/4 cup of oil and 1 egg. Then add 1 cup of flour, 4 teaspoons of cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt. (I didn’t think the salt was enough, next time I think I’ll rub a little salt and onion powder directly onto the fish to ensure they are well seasoned). Mix well.
Step 3: Dip fish in batter and fry in hot oil (about a 1/4 inch of oil in a frying pan, add as necessary). Let each side cook until golden brown (about 3-4 minutes).
Remove your chips from the oven and serve your fish and chips. You might want to serve with tomato sauce (ketchup) and tartar sauce. Enjoy your yummy meal. I know we did.
Oven Chips/French Fries:
- – Potatoes (peeled and cut to desired size)( use 5-6 small potatoes per serving)
- – Hot Water
- – Oil
- – Salt
- – Any Other seasonings desired
- Place potatoes in a bowl or pan and cover with hot water.
- Allow to soak for at least 15 minutes. Prepare a baking pan by adding enough oil to cover the bottom.
- Preheat oven to 220C/450F
- Drain potatoes and pat dry. Add oil (1/2 Tablespoon per serving), salt and any other seasonings and stir well to ensure all the potatoes are coated with oil.
- Put potatoes in pan and spread evenly (it is ok if they overlap if the potatoes are cut thin, if they are cut thick use a baking pan large enough to allow you to spread them in one layer)
- Cover the pan with foil and seal tightly. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. If you want the potatoes to be crispy on the outside uncover for the last 5-10 minutes.
Fish in Batter: (Recipe adapted from The Newcomer’s Guide to Cooking in Africa)
- 3/4 to 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 1 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- Fish fillets cut into desired sizes
- Mix water, egg and oil in a bowl.
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt and mix well
- Dip fish pieces in batter one at a time
- Fry in about 1/4 inch hot oil.
- Fry each side until golden brown (about 3-4 minutes for each side)
- Remove from pan.
N/B This recipe made more than enough batter for 2 large fillets. It should be enough to cook 4 medium fillets. I used Tilapia but I assume that this recipe would work well with other types of fish.
As a last thing I think I should try to be as real as possible on this blog so here is a picture of what the other side of my kitchen looked like while I was cooking. :)